The Heartland Workers' Center is Celebrating it's 8th Anniversary
Since 2009, we have been working to build a community that works for all through leadership development and promoting civic engagement and workers rights.
In recognition of our 8th anniversary, the HWC is asking for your financial support. Our goal is to raise $8,888. We’re asking YOU to donate any amount you can in the denomination of 8 - $8, $18, $88, $108, or $888 (As you can see, we really like the number 8).
The work of the HWC will be ever more important as we enter a new political era in 2017, where many immigrants and their families are uncertain of what will come. Yet still, the community will not be silenced, but instead will continue to organize and speak up – in the community, workplace, and with their votes. Over the next year, our goals are to:
- Find, train, and develop Latino leaders from Omaha, Schuyler, and Nebraska City, who will identify and address issues important to them. In doing so, they will further develop their leadership skills;
- Continue to push for comprehensive immigration reform and protect Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) by working with leaders and other community organizations;
- Promote and defend the rights of all workers by providing trainings and advocating for improved laws and the enforcement of existing laws; and
- Continue to engage Latinos and Latinas in the Omaha-metropolitan area into public life by conducting a Get-Out-The-Vote (GOTV) Campaign for the 2013 Municipal Elections and actively participating in the 2017 Legislative Session.
Now, more than ever, your donation is needed. You can also become involved in a variety of ways:
- DONATE: We accept donations online, by mail, or in-person;
- FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Throughout these 8 days, we’ll be sharing some of our accomplishments throughout our 8 years on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- YOUR FRIENDS: Tell your friends why you support the HWC, using our hashtag #celebr8HWC and linking to our donation page.
- VOLUNTEER: Contact us about ways to be involved over the next year.
Again, thanks for all your support over the last 8 years. We would not have been able to accomplish what we did without you. But, be sure to donate TODAY, so we can celebrate our anniversary and our accomplishments in the years to come.
Together, we can help to build a community that works for all.